Daily Bible Reading
Today's reading: John 13-15
Look for the promises in God’s word. As you read and find them, write them in your journal along with the scripture reference.
Washing the Disciples’ Feet
1. Just before the Passover feast, Jesus knew that his time had come to depart from this world to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now loved them to the very end.
2. The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, that he should betray Jesus.
3. Because Jesus knew that the Father had handed all things over to him, and that he had come from God and was going back to God,
4. he got up from the meal, removed his outer clothes, took a towel and tied it around himself.
5. He poured water into the washbasin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to dry them with the towel he had wrapped around himself.
6. Then he came to Simon Peter. Peter said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”
7. Jesus replied, “You do not understand what I am doing now, but you will understand after these things.”
8. Peter said to him, “You will never wash my feet!” Jesus replied, “If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.”
9. Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head!”
10. Jesus replied, “The one who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean. And you disciples are clean, but not every one of you.”
11. (For Jesus knew the one who was going to betray him. For this reason he said, “Not every one of you is clean.”)
12. So when Jesus had washed their feet and put his outer clothing back on, he took his place at the table again and said to them, “Do you understand what I have done for you?
13. You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and do so correctly, for that is what I am.
14. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you too ought to wash one another’s feet.
15. For I have given you an example – you should do just as I have done for you.
16. I tell you the solemn truth, the slave is not greater than his master, nor is the one who is sent as a messenger greater than the one who sent him.
17. If you understand these things, you will be blessed if you do them.
The Announcement of Jesus’ Betrayal
18. “What I am saying does not refer to all of you. I know the ones I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture, ‘The one who eats my bread has turned against me.’
19. I am telling you this now, before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe that I am he.
20. I tell you the solemn truth, whoever accepts the one I send accepts me, and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me.”
21. When he had said these things, Jesus was greatly distressed in spirit, and testified, “I tell you the solemn truth, one of you will betray me.”
22. The disciples began to look at one another, worried and perplexed to know which of them he was talking about.
23. One of his disciples, the one Jesus loved, was at the table to the right of Jesus in a place of honor.
24. So Simon Peter gestured to this disciple to ask Jesus who it was he was referring to.
25. Then the disciple whom Jesus loved leaned back against Jesus’ chest and asked him, “Lord, who is it?”
26. Jesus replied, “It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread after I have dipped it in the dish.” Then he dipped the piece of bread in the dish and gave it to Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son.
27. And after Judas took the piece of bread, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.”
28. (Now none of those present at the table understood why Jesus said this to Judas.
29. Some thought that, because Judas had the money box, Jesus was telling him to buy whatever they needed for the feast, or to give something to the poor.)
30. Judas took the piece of bread and went out immediately. (Now it was night.)
The Prediction of Peter’s Denial
31. When Judas had gone out, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in him.
32. If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and he will glorify him right away.
33. Children, I am still with you for a little while. You will look for me, and just as I said to the Jewish religious leaders, ‘Where I am going you cannot come,’ now I tell you the same.
34. “I give you a new commandment – to love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.
35. Everyone will know by this that you are my disciples – if you have love for one another.”
36. Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow me now, but you will follow later.”
37. Peter said to him, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you!”
38. Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? I tell you the solemn truth, the rooster will not crow until you have denied me three times!
Jesus’ Parting Words to His Disciples
1. “Do not let your hearts be distressed. You believe in God; believe also in me.
2. There are many dwelling places in my Father’s house. Otherwise, I would have told you, because I am going away to make ready a place for you.
3. And if I go and make ready a place for you, I will come again and take you to be with me, so that where I am you may be too.
4. And you know the way where I am going.”
5. Thomas said, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going. How can we know the way?”
6. Jesus replied, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
7. If you have known me, you will know my Father too. And from now on you do know him and have seen him.”
8. Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be content.”
9. Jesus replied, “Have I been with you for so long, and you have not known me, Philip? The person who has seen me has seen the Father! How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
10. Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you, I do not speak on my own initiative, but the Father residing in me performs his miraculous deeds.
11. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father is in me, but if you do not believe me, believe because of the miraculous deeds themselves.
12. I tell you the solemn truth, the person who believes in me will perform the miraculous deeds that I am doing, and will perform greater deeds than these, because I am going to the Father.
13. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.
Teaching on the Holy Spirit
15. “If you love me, you will obey my commandments.
16. Then I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you forever –
17. the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept, because it does not see him or know him. But you know him, because he resides with you and will be in you.
18. “I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you.
19. In a little while the world will not see me any longer, but you will see me; because I live, you will live too.
20. You will know at that time that I am in my Father and you are in me and I am in you.
21. The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him.”
22. “Lord,” Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “what has happened that you are going to reveal yourself to us and not to the world?”
23. Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and take up residence with him.
24. The person who does not love me does not obey my words. And the word you hear is not mine, but the Father’s who sent me.
25. “I have spoken these things while staying with you.
26. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and will cause you to remember everything I said to you.
27. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage.
28. You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I am.
29. I have told you now before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe.
30. I will not speak with you much longer, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no power over me,
31. but I am doing just what the Father commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Get up, let us go from here.”
The Vine and the Branches
1. “I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener.
2. He takes away every branch that does not bear fruit in me. He prunes every branch that bears fruit so that it will bear more fruit.
3. You are clean already because of the word that I have spoken to you.
4. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it remains in the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me.
5. “I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in me – and I in him – bears much fruit, because apart from me you can accomplish nothing.
6. If anyone does not remain in me, he is thrown out like a branch, and dries up; and such branches are gathered up and thrown into the fire, and are burned up.
7. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you want, and it will be done for you.
8. My Father is honored by this, that you bear much fruit and show that you are my disciples.
9. “Just as the Father has loved me, I have also loved you; remain in my love.
10. If you obey my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.
11. I have told you these things so that my joy may be in you, and your joy may be complete.
12. My commandment is this – to love one another just as I have loved you.
13. No one has greater love than this – that one lays down his life for his friends.
14. You are my friends if you do what I command you.
15. I no longer call you slaves, because the slave does not understand what his master is doing. But I have called you friends, because I have revealed to you everything I heard from my Father.
16. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that remains, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.
17. This I command you – to love one another.
The World’s Hatred
18. “If the world hates you, be aware that it hated me first.
19. If you belonged to the world, the world would love you as its own. However, because you do not belong to the world, but I chose you out of the world, for this reason the world hates you.
20. Remember what I told you, ‘A slave is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they obeyed my word, they will obey yours too.
21. But they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they do not know the one who sent me.
22. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. But they no longer have any excuse for their sin.
23. The one who hates me hates my Father too.
24. If I had not performed among them the miraculous deeds that no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen the deeds and have hated both me and my Father.
25. Now this happened to fulfill the word that is written in their law, ‘They hated me without reason.’
26. When the Advocate comes, whom I will send you from the Father – the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father – he will testify about me,
27. and you also will testify, because you have been with me from the beginning.