Daily Bible Reading
Today's reading: 1 Thessalonians 4-5
Look for the promises in God’s word. As you read and find them, write them in your journal along with the scripture reference.
1 Thessalonians 4
A Life Pleasing to God
1. Finally then, brothers and sisters, we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received instruction from us about how you must live and please God (as you are in fact living) that you do so more and more.
2. For you know what commands we gave you through the Lord Jesus.
3. For this is God’s will: that you become holy, that you keep away from sexual immorality,
4. that each of you know how to possess his own body in holiness and honor,
5. not in lustful passion like the Gentiles who do not know God.
6. In this matter no one should violate the rights of his brother or take advantage of him, because the Lord is the avenger in all these cases, as we also told you earlier and warned you solemnly.
7. For God did not call us to impurity but in holiness.
8. Consequently the one who rejects this is not rejecting human authority but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
9. Now on the topic of brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another.
10. And indeed you are practicing it toward all the brothers and sisters in all of Macedonia. But we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more,
11. to aspire to lead a quiet life, to attend to your own business, and to work with your hands, as we commanded you.
12. In this way you will live a decent life before outsiders and not be in need.
The Lord Returns for Believers
13. Now we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve like the rest who have no hope.
14. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, so also we believe that God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep as Christians.
15. For we tell you this by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will surely not go ahead of those who have fallen asleep.
16. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a shout of command, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
17. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be suddenly caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.
18. Therefore encourage one another with these words.
1 Thessalonians 5
The Day of the Lord
1. Now on the topic of times and seasons, brothers and sisters, you have no need for anything to be written to you.
2. For you know quite well that the day of the Lord will come in the same way as a thief in the night.
3. Now when they are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction comes on them, like labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will surely not escape.
4. But you, brothers and sisters, are not in the darkness for the day to overtake you like a thief would.
5. For you all are sons of the light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of the darkness.
6. So then we must not sleep as the rest, but must stay alert and sober.
7. For those who sleep, sleep at night and those who get drunk are drunk at night.
8. But since we are of the day, we must stay sober by putting on the breastplate of faith and love and as a helmet our hope for salvation.
9. For God did not destine us for wrath but for gaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.
10. He died for us so that whether we are alert or asleep we will come to life together with him.
11. Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, just as you are in fact doing.
12. Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who labor among you and preside over you in the Lord and admonish you,
13. and to esteem them most highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.
14. And we urge you, brothers and sisters, admonish the undisciplined, comfort the discouraged, help the weak, be patient toward all.
15. See that no one pays back evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all.
16. Always rejoice,
17. constantly pray,
18. in everything give thanks. For this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
19. Do not extinguish the Spirit.
20. Do not treat prophecies with contempt.
21. But examine all things; hold fast to what is good.
22. Stay away from every form of evil.
23. Now may the God of peace himself make you completely holy and may your spirit and soul and body be kept entirely blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24. He who calls you is trustworthy, and he will in fact do this.
25. Brothers and sisters, pray for us too.
26. Greet all the brothers and sisters with a holy kiss.
27. I call on you solemnly in the Lord to have this letter read to all the brothers and sisters.
28. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.